Exactly one year ago today, the TN Team Blog was born. So today we're celebrating the blog's first birthday in our offices with cookies AND brownies (for the full debate, see here). In addition, we wanted to take a look back at some of our favorite posts over the past year. Enjoy!
This was Tim's masterpiece way back in June. Not sure if you have the fever? You need this quiz.
This was one of our very first posts. Tim and I are still trying to plan a road trip to go get some delicious pulled pork pierogi stackers.
"I have a video production background, so my love for this post comes mainly from the Larry Bird commercial. As you might know, Larry is standing in front of a blue screen, which is used to create a background behind a person while they're speaking or acting. I like to imagine that the producers intended to use the screen to show some kind of snazzy imagery while Bird was giving his endorsement, but weren't able to get it to work on the day of production. They had Larry booked, though, so they couldn't change the shoot location on such short notice. The other commercials featured have just as much fail to them; that dance scene in the Odgen spot is just so random." — Mike
"This special video blog post has everything: Action, intrigue, heartbreak, crates of pears. So even though I really enjoy looking at pictures of Jimi Hendrix in a fanny pack, I'd have to say that the Cyber Monday blog post is my all-time-favorite from the past year." — Allison
"I especially liked the post about the not-so-true history of the fanny pack because it was hilarious! The images of famous (or infamous) historical figures wearing fanny packs cracked me up!" — Danielle
"These are hilarious commercials that appeal to both hockey and non-hockey fans. Gotta love it. Close runners-up: 'Bring Back the Pack: Awesome fanny packs photo gallery' (come on, obviously just because it's awesome and the pics are funny...and you know I'm a life-long fanny pack supporter) and 'What people are talking about this week: One Direction' (as much as I wanted to hate them, I somehow am now their fan club president...not literally, but you know what I mean)." — Erin
What's your favorite post from our first year? And how long do YOU think a blog-year is? Tell us in the comments!
Rarely is there a day around the TN.com offices that chocolate chip cookies, brownies or various other sweet treats are not discussed (and on good days, eaten). Today we decided to have our two resident experts in the field of baking sciences, Liz and Allison, have a little debate on which dessert is best: brownies or chocolate chip cookies?
Liz: Allison's going to try and convince you that chocolate chip cookies are better than brownies, but she's wrong, and I'll tell you why:
1. Brownies are made entirely of chocolate. And you can add more chocolate to them. Why would you want a dessert with so little chocolate? Way too much boring cookie in chocolate chip cookies if you ask me.
2. It's easy to eat as much as you want, and ONLY as much as you want, because brownies can be whatever size (and shape, for that matter) as you want them to be. What if you want to eat somewhere between one and two cookies? That's just awkward.
3. You can decorate brownies like you can cakes. And put candles in it. All the advantages of cake, except better.
4. You can add way more stuff to brownies than you can to cookies. Nuts, chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, fruit…the possibilities are endless! As soon as you add more than chocolate chips to chocolate chip cookies…they aren't just chocolate chip cookies anymore.
5. Brownies have something for everyone. If you like desserts a little gooey, take the middle. Like a lot of crunch? Take a corner piece. Easy to please a whole crowd all at the same time.