Written by Nicole Lajoie
Starring on Broadway is a dream come true for many actors, but it can quickly turn into a nightmare. While some celebrities seize the opportunity to show off their acting skills in front of a live audience, many are overshadowed by the spotlight. The following celebrities are currently trying to make their mark on Broadway:
Emma Stone - “Cabaret”
Most of you know Emma from mega movies like “Superbad,” “Easy A,” and “The Amazing Spider Man,” but did you know that she is currently starring as Sally Bowles in the Broadway staple, “Cabaret?” Stone was originally selected to play Sally early last year, but scheduling issues forced her to drop the part and focus on other projects. After Emma’s sudden resignation, Michelle Williams took over the role and unfortunately critics found her performance to be mediocre at best. The quality of Ms. Stone’s voice has been questioned, but her passion and acting skills seem to have made up for any vocal shortcomings. Critics find Emma’s performance to be solid as ‘Stone.’
Sometimes, we talk about pop stars as if we know them — but the truth is we barely know them at all. In fact, in some cases, we don't even know their real name. Here are 25 artists who use stage names to perform... and whose true names you probably never knew!
- Sting — Gordon Matthew Thomas Sumner
It's not every day you go to class and find out that your professor for the day is Kanye West. But that's what happened on Friday when Kanye visited L.A. Trade Technical College to teach a group of college students about all things fashion. Technically, Kanye was there as part of his community service, but let's just bask in the glow of Professor West. It takes the lyric "Yeezy taught me" to a whole different level.
Complex Magazine interviewed one of the students from the class, 19-year-old Andre Pitts. Here are some of the details (as told by Pitts).
Whatever you did over the weekend was cool and all, but Taylor Swift invited some fans over to her house, baked cookies, and they all listened to her new album 1989.
It was a surprise for 89 of her fans, who were all hand-picked by Taylor Swift herself. They were contacted by Taylor's management team and given vague details about the "top secret exclusive event" (where to go, and when) but nothing more, according to TSwiftLA.
Some of the details of the evening:
- There was a ton of food for the 89 attendees to eat, including cookies. Baked by Taylor Swift. Pumpkin chocolate chip, if you care.
- The group sat in Taylor's living room where she laid out the details of the evening. AKA, "Hey guys, thanks for being fans, now do you want to listen to my entire album with me right now?" (Not an exact quote.)
- Taylor spoke to her fans about the details of each song.
- They also got to hang out with Taylor's cat, Olivia. No details about her other cat, Meredith, but we'll assume she was there, too.
- There was dancing and rapping to Kendrick Lamar's "Backseat Freestyle."
- Everyone got to take selfies with Taylor. They also got gift bags.
- This all happened at Taylor's house in LA. Just wanted to reiterate that.
A comeback tour is a big deal. It's supposed to be full of anticipation and excitement and enthusiasm and, in the case of Garth Brooks, a good ol' fashioned tumble. On the second night of Brooks' comeback tour, the singer managed to fall down on stage, knocking his cowboy hat off in the process. It happens.
As someone who has taken a good spill here and there, I can relate to celebrities when they fall on or off a stage during a show. I feel for them... but that doesn't mean I can't smirk when I hear about the mishaps. These are some of the 10 greatest on-stage falls, which we can giggle about, because none of these artists were seriously injured. (I think I'll let these videos speak for themselves.)
#1 - Rihanna