For those of you out there that did not know, today is National Donut Day! A day to celebrate one of the most delicious confections ever created. Actually, the date has a little more history than that. The holiday dates back to 1938 and was created by the Salvation Army to honor women who handed out donuts on the front lines of World War I. Seriously. Click here to read about it.
Nowadays, National Donut Day is an excuse to partake in the wonderful treat. I got mine through the free donut promotion from Dunkin' Donuts. Yummy.
I also thought this would be a good time to rank my Top 5 favorite donuts. Let me know if you agree/disagree in the comments below.
#5 - Jelly Donut
The jelly-filled donut is one of the most delicious, albeit messy, donuts out there. In fact, its messiness is what ultimately dropped it down this list. I challenge anyone to eat a jelly donut without getting powdered sugar or jelly all over their clothing. It's almost guaranteed to happen to me, but it's a risk worth taking.
#4 - French Cruller
There is no classier way to eat a donut than eating a french cruller. So light and airy, and oh-so-delicious. Almost makes you feel like you are better than the person next you...almost.
#3 - Sprinkled Donut
The rainbow sprinkled donut is a feast for the eyes. Whenever someone opens the box of donuts, your eyes are immediately drawn to all the pretty colors. Nothing is more disappointing than when whoever made the donuts skimps on the sprinkles. Come on, donut man, give the people what they want! MORE SPRINKLES!
#2 - Boston Creme Donut
The Boston creme donut is a donut that is definitely not for everyone. But for those of us who love them, the combination of custard and chocolate is almost unbeatable. Boston creme is undeniably the king of the filled donuts.
#1 - Glazed Donut
Does it get any more classic than the glazed donut? Just sweet enough to satisfy your sweet tooth and light enough that you could polish off a half dozen without blinking. I have yet to find someone who does not like a glazed donut, and if you know someone, immediately give them a stern look and eat a glazed donut right in their face.
Happy National Donut Day! Now go stuff your faces!
Rarely is there a day around the TN.com offices that chocolate chip cookies, brownies or various other sweet treats are not discussed (and on good days, eaten). Today we decided to have our two resident experts in the field of baking sciences, Liz and Allison, have a little debate on which dessert is best: brownies or chocolate chip cookies?
Liz: Allison's going to try and convince you that chocolate chip cookies are better than brownies, but she's wrong, and I'll tell you why:
1. Brownies are made entirely of chocolate. And you can add more chocolate to them. Why would you want a dessert with so little chocolate? Way too much boring cookie in chocolate chip cookies if you ask me.
2. It's easy to eat as much as you want, and ONLY as much as you want, because brownies can be whatever size (and shape, for that matter) as you want them to be. What if you want to eat somewhere between one and two cookies? That's just awkward.
3. You can decorate brownies like you can cakes. And put candles in it. All the advantages of cake, except better.
4. You can add way more stuff to brownies than you can to cookies. Nuts, chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, fruit…the possibilities are endless! As soon as you add more than chocolate chips to chocolate chip cookies…they aren't just chocolate chip cookies anymore.
5. Brownies have something for everyone. If you like desserts a little gooey, take the middle. Like a lot of crunch? Take a corner piece. Easy to please a whole crowd all at the same time.