The major story of last month is George Strait's Cowboy Rides Away Tour with Martina McBride. I don't believe I've seen a higher number of tickets bought for a performer (or a duo) in a month than I have for them. In fact, their tour accounts for 22% of all the tickets in this month's Top 10. I guess it just goes to show that it helps to be the king, and even more so when you're retiring in two years.
Meanwhile, singer-songwriter P!nk was the leading solo performer, with a strong showing all throughout the month. Trans-Siberian Orchestra moved up, which isn't unexpected since their tour is quickly approaching. On the other hand, One Direction moved down quite a bit after spending the previous two months in the Top 3. However, this also isn't surprising. Their current tour is soon ending, and the next doesn't begin until June 2013, so sales will likely pick back up later.
Finally, Maroon 5 entered the Top 10 for the first time with extremely strong sales, especially when you consider what other performers and shows are on the list.
If you haven't heard yet, country icon George Strait is going on his final tour next year. The first leg of the Cowboy Rides Away Tour, with Martina McBride as the opener, will kick off on January 13 in Lubbock, TX, and end on June 1 in San Antonio, TX. The full tour will last about two years, ending in 2014.
The King of Country has been popular since he began singing in 1982. Beginning at a time when country music was under heavily influence by pop and rock, Strait took a different path, becoming the standard bearer for the traditional country sound.
The preference has helped him stand out among other pop and rock-influenced country artists, particularly when it comes to touring. Here are a few factoids:
- Collectively, Strait's tours with Martina McBride have sold the eighth highest number of tickets among country tours on the TicketNetwork.com exchange.
- When his tours with other artists are included, he is the fourth highest-selling country artist on the exchange.
- George Strait is only of two neo-traditionalist artists to have concert series in the Top 20 list of country tours on the exchange. The other is Reba McEntire, due to the touring she's done with Strait.
Concert onsales have picked up this week, with 3 Doors Down & Daughtry, George Strait, and Eric Church. On the sports side of things, all the current and upcoming series for the MLB® playoffs have onsales.
Average prices at TN.com for concert onsales*
- 3 Doors Down announced on Monday they will be going on tour this fall with Daughtry; P.O.D. will also join the other two bands for all but four shows. 17 dates of the 19-date tour are on sale this Friday.
- Country icon George Strait is preparing for his final tour. Martina McBride will join him, at least for the first leg. Fourteen shows are on sale this Friday.
- Eric Church has seven dates on sale Friday.
- P!nk has another six shows on sale Friday.