The following is a guest article by Ashey Coxx.
Although there’s no precise formula when it comes to predicting who will be band of the year, there are a few tried and true methods to predict who will come out on top at some of the most prestigious music award ceremonies. By analyzing elements like chart hits, video playlists, downloads, radio play, and album sales, predictors can gain a pretty good idea of a band’s all-around popularity. While many British and American bands have populated this year’s Top 10, only one band can wear the crown; this year, top glories might just be heading (again) to the boys from Oxfordshire—Radiohead.
There are, of course, a few great bands that will be hot on Radiohead’s heels for this year’s top spot. Other predictors have mentioned bands like The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, and Bon Iver as serious contenders for band of the year. Just as Radiohead released their most recent album last year, so, too, did the Foo Fighters, and they’ve been riding high in album sales. On the other hand, those lovable Chili Peppers are also celebrating their 2011 album release with intense popularity. Bon Iver is a relative newcomer to the party, but their Grammy wins are pushing them well into mainstream recognition. In fact, last year Bon Iver beat out Radiohead for Best Alternative Album of the Year at the Grammy Awards.
The Tony Awards are rapidly approaching, with the telecast scheduled for 8/7c on June 10. Since I did pretty well last year, I decided to make some predictions about who will take home the big prizes this year. My predictions are below.
- Nominees: Clybourne Park, Other Desert Cities, Peter and the Starcatcher, Venus in Fur
- Liz's pick: Venus in Fur. I've heard great things about the show, and it also stars Tony Award nominee Nina Arianda.
- Nominees: Leap of Faith, Newsies, Nice Work If You Can Get It, Once
- Liz's pick: Anyone notice that this category is almost entirely made up of musicals that were based on movies? I think it'll be a close race between Newsies and Once, but I think Once might squeak by with a win.
Best Book of a Musical
- Nominees: Lysistrata Jones, Newsies, Nice Work If You Can Get It, Once
- Liz's pick: Lysistrata Jones. I think this one might come out of the woodwork to win. The plot is hilarious and I'm guessing the book is, too.
It's that time again, where a major awards ceremony is happening in a few days and I give you my best, educated guesses on the winners. Or, like I did with the VMAs, fail miserably at doing so. This time the ceremony is the Grammy Awards, which airs this Sunday. The show ought to be pretty good, with performances from Adele, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Bruce Springsteen, Taylor Swift, Nicki Minaj, Paul McCartney, Coldplay, Bruno Mars, Kelly Clarkson, Foo Fighters, Jason Aldean, and Glen Campbell. Hmm. There will be time for award giving, right? Hopefully, or this prediction post will be useless.
But, I digress! Here are my choices:
Record of the Year
The Nominees: Adele: "Rolling in the Deep"; Bon Iver: "Holocene"; Bruno Mars: "Grenade"; Mumford & Sons: "The Cave"; Katy Perry: "Firework";
My Pick: Adele
My Rationale: When I predicted the VMA winners, I made the mistake of wanting Adele to win, rather than counting on the public vote to swing in Katy Perry's favor. However, when Adele actually won in the VMAs, it was for awards that the judges chose the winners. The Grammy winners are all chosen by the Academy, so I think Adele is in a much stronger position this time.