The Tony Awards are rapidly approaching, with the telecast scheduled for 8/7c on June 12. I decided to challenge one of our newest contributors, Colin, to try and predict who will win all the categories, and I did the same. Our predictions are below...once the awards are announced we'll see who wins.
- Nominees: Good People, Jerusalem, The Motherf**ker with the Hat, War Horse
- Colin's pick: War Horse. A very deep and inventive play – all the neat puppetry with the horse figures and the intense World War I aura. The play itself is also British-based and so it has Shakespeare in its genes.
- Liz's pick: I'll have to go with Colin on this one. It was a giant hit in London, and now it's a giant hit on Broadway.
- Nominees: The Book of Mormon, Catch Me If You Can, The Scottsboro Boys, Sister Act
- Colin's pick: The Book of Mormon. Too big, too loud, too funny to ignore – customers rave, ticket sales are off the charts – is there really a choice? Lucky, too, that most of the drama critics in New York aren't Mormon...
- Liz's pick: Ditto.
Best Book of a Musical
- Nominees: Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson, The Book of Mormon, The Scottsboro Boys, Sister Act
- Colin's pick: The Scottsboro Boys. Author David Thompson graduated from Northwestern University, where I went to school—so he's obviously brilliant.
- Liz's pick: The Book of Mormon. It's a lot like South Park and Avenue Q, which are both awesome.