Katy Perry has been one of my favorite artists for a while, but I’d never seen her in concert until this past weekend. I’d heard mixed reviews: either she would be amazing or terrible. Turns out, the concert was pretty great overall, but there were five moments that stuck out as the best of the night. Check them out below.
- Multiple costume changes: I counted 16 different costumes throughout the two hour concert, but the most impressive part was during “Hot and Cold,” when she changed about six times during the song. It was kind of like a magic show, but with pop music.
- Justin Bieber dig: At one point KP asked for a guy to volunteer to come up on stage, and one guy happily obliged…until she told him he’d have to leave his shirt in his seat. He chickened out, and she quickly got another volunteer. But the best part was as she was thanking the second guy for being a good sport and being way cooler than that “Justin Bieber wannabe.” You could tell this was an off-the-cuff comment, meaning Katy’s pretty funny on her own.
- Beatlemania girl: You know those videos of Beatles concerts where teenage girls are screaming and fainting because they can’t control their excitement? I had never seen it in person until one song when Katy brought a bunch of fans onstage to dance. One girl had her hands over her mouth the whole time, and two or three times suddenly ran over to give Katy a hug. It was adorable, and Katy took it in stride (instead of, you know, calling security).
- FB update pic: This is the part where I realized Ms. Perry was a really cool person. After she brought fans onstage, she picked one and let her take a picture of the two of them for her Facebook profile, even making sure it was a good picture and letting her take a few extras to make sure everything came out ok. She was very gracious and down-to-earth with her fans.
- Girl with glittery shoes: Okay, this has nothing to do with Katy Perry besides the fact that it took place at her concert, but one girl walking by told my friend he’d clearly forgotten to bring his glittery shoes, pointing to her own bright silver, sparkly shoes. I liked the shoes, and also the look on my friend’s face as he tried to come up with an appropriate comeback.