Today marks the 20th anniversary of the formation of the Backstreet Boys. I’d be lying if I didn’t admit I’m still secretly obsessed with them and I’m suuuper excited about this. All five members are back and they’re performing a 20th anniversary concert in L.A. tonight, for free, where they’ll be debuting new music and showing a new clip from their upcoming documentary. (I’m crying inside because I’m on the East Coast.) On Monday, April 22, the band will get a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, which I think is pretty fitting for the best-selling boy band of all time. On top of that, this year we’re also expected to get a new album (WITH Kevin) and a tour and I. CAN’T. WAIT.
Aside from proving how much of a huge loser I am, here’s what their 20-year celebration also means: we’re all getting old. Seriously, guys. All of the members of the Backstreet Boys are married or soon-to-be and most of them have babies! One of them is 40! When did that happen? Here are 10 other things that will help make you feel seriously old.
1. Zac Hanson is no longer just the cute little "baby" of Hanson, playing drums with his older brothers. Actually, he's 27. Meanwhile, some other boy band "babies"? Justin Timberlake, NSYNC, is 32. Drew Lachey, 98 Degrees, is 36. Joey McIntyre, New Kids on the Block, is 40.
2. One Direction band mates are about as old as a Nintendo 64. Yeah, the boys of One Direction were born in the early ‘90s: Louis was born in 1991; Niall, Liam, and Zayn in 1993; and Harry, the guy that dated Taylor Swift, was born in 1994.
3. Kids born in 1995 will graduate from high school this year.
4. The first season of "American Idol" debuted 11 years ago. And Ryan Seacrest actually had a co-host. (Bet that guy is full of regret.)
5. Michelle Tanner from "Full House" is 27. (Well, they both are.) “Full House” turns 26 this year, while the CD players turn 31, and Emma Bunton, the youngest Spice Girl, turns 37.
6. The first “Harry Potter” novel came out 14 years ago. The first movie was released 12 years ago.
7. Any child who was born in 2000 will be considered a teenager this year.
8. Pluto hasn’t been a planet for five ears. We're still not over it.
9. Macaulay Culkin, the child star of “Home Alone,” is 30. The movie came out more than 20 years ago.
10. Justin Bieber's career began in 2008, when he was 14. Now he's 19. “Jurassic Park,” the “Goosebumps” book series, “Mrs. Doubtfire,” “Muppet Babies,” and Mara Wilson, the girl from “Matilda,” are all older than him.
So, that's it, then. We're officially old. Soon we'll be yelling "get off my lawn!" and considering retirement plans. We've already got that "talking incessantly about how our decade was the BEST decade" thing down, so we're almost there!