The following is a guest post by Russell of dailypencil.com.
There has been much speculation around the quarterbacks of this draft class and much debate if any of them are worth a first round pick. The leaders of the draft are Geno Smith from West Virgina, Matt Barkley from USC and Ryan Nassib from Syracuse. These are the standouts and what you would consider the cream of the crop. Nothing compared to what we had last year with RGIII, Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson. Many scouts don’t even think that any of these quarterbacks are worth going in the first ten picks, let alone the first round.
However, you can read just about any mock draft online and you will see that they have Geno Smith going in the top ten and Matt Barkley going in the first round as well. So this brings up the question: are teams going to draft these quarterbacks just to draft one? Are any of these franchise guys? The answer is yes: teams will draft quarterbacks early, and no: none of these quarterbacks are franchise material.
The need for a quarterback
Most of the teams with a top ten pick in this year's draft do not have a quarterback that they are comfortable moving forward with, except the Chiefs, Lions, and surprisingly the Cardinals and their recent trade for Carson Palmer. There are still a lot of questions, one of which is if the Raiders feel really comfortable with Matt Flynn to move forward and not draft a quarterback early. The Bills signed Kevin Kolb and the Jets have butt-fumble Mark Sanchez. So after all that, the teams left that need a quarterback are the Jaguars, Eagles, Browns, and the Vikings currently sit at 23 and 25 for their draft picks. These teams have the highest percent of drafting a quarterback in the first round.
How quarterbacks will drop out of the first round
This is a huge possibility, especially if none of the teams in the first ten picks roll the dice on one of these quarterbacks. Most of this rides on the Jacksonville Jaguars and what they decide to do with the second pick. This is a team that is trying to avoid a move to LA and is trying to fill the stands with the fans. They need something or someone to help spark their fans' interest. Experts are saying that not making a move for Tim Tebow is a bad call since he is a local hero, but they could use their pick on quarterback Geno Smith and try to boost their fans with the top-rated quarterback in the draft. However, Geno Smith is not an Andrew Luck or RGIII and will not get people excited like those two did. There really is no other player that is exciting enough to get fans back in the stands and Geno is not worth the second pick.
Look for the Jags to take Eric Fisher or Dion Jordan with their second pick. If this happens, then the other teams in the top ten would take a chance and draft a quarterback in the second round. This would save the teams a lot of money and would not look as bad if these QBs end up being a bust. There are two possibilities with the quarterbacks in the NFL draft. One, 2-3 quarterbacks go in the first round to Jacksonville, Arizona and the Bills. Or Geno falls to the Vikings at 23 and the others get picked up in the second round. This should make the draft exciting tomorrow night.
Here is a mock draft of what I think will happen:
- Kansas City Chiefs - Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
- Jacksonville Jaguars - Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon
- Oakland Raiders - Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
- Arizona Cardinals (Trade With Eagles) - Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
- Detroit Lions - Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
- Cleveland Browns - Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
- Philadelphia Eagles - Ziggy Ansah, DE, BYU
- Buffalo Bills - Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
- New York Jets - Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU
- Tennessee Titans - Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
- San Diego Chargers - Jonathan Cooper, OG
- Miami Dolphins - Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
- New York Jets - Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
- Carolina Panthers - Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
- New Orleans Saints - Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
- St. Louis Rams - Eric Reid, S, LSU
- Pittsburgh Steelers - Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee
- Dallas Cowboys - D.J Fluker, OT, Alabama
- New York Giants - Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia
- Chicago Bears - Deandre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
- Cincinnati Bengals - John Cyprien, S, Florida International
- St. Louis Rams - Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
- Minnesota Vikings - Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
- Indianapolis Colts - Datone Jones, DE, UCLA
- Minnesota Vikings - Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame
- Green Bay Packers - Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama
- Houston Texans - Menelik Watson, OT, Florida St.
- Denver Broncos - Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida St.
- New England Patriots - Robert Woods, WR, USC
- Atlanta Falcons - Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
- San Fransico 49ers - Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama
- Baltimore Ravens - Kevin Minter, LB, LSU
Russell Cragun is from Utah and loves to watch all sports of any kind. He is currently attending school at UVU and is majoring in Marketing. He is married to a lovely woman, and is the owner of the blog at dailypencil.com.